Science Library, 3rd floor, Uptown Campus
The University Archives contains records that document the history of the university back to 1844, including yearbooks, student newspapers, departmental records, etc. It holds a wealth of archival material, including the William Kennedy Papers, German Émigré Collection, Death Penalty Archive, Mathes Collection of Children’s Literature, and local social justice and civic organizations.
95 Trivoli Street (near the “Nipper Building,” N. Pearl St.)
- Contains the official records of city and county government, including police mug shots, records of government agencies like Albany Urban Renewal Agency, the city Alms House, etc.
- Contains deeds, water rents, architectural drawings, and other information related to the history of real estate and property transactions.
- Holds the papers of Albany “mayor for life” Erastus Corning 2d.
- Holds the records of United Traction Company, a streetcar monopoly that had two violent strikes in the early 20th century.
Washington and Dove streets
- The library is open Thursday afternoons from 1 to 4:30 pm.
- Contains the manuscript records of prominent Albany citizens going back to the 19th century, the records of the New York Central Railroad, material about Albany and Hudson River history, plus some material artifacts.
Washington Avenue and Lark Street
Albany Public Library’s digital collection on the New York Heritage site contains a small sample of their local history holdings. The full Pruyn Collection includes thousands of books, photographs, city directories, newspapers, school yearbooks, documents, census records, city council minutes, maps, and more. Hours are limited, so check before going.
The Albany Postcard Project is a community based initiative launched by the Albany Archives to create a comprehensive look at how the city appeared at the turn of the 20th century using scenes from postcards.
523 South Pearl Street
Historic house dating back to late 1700s, of the Van Rensselaers, a prominent Albany Dutch family. Collections contain both manuscript records and extensive material artifacts dating back to 1747 of the Van Rensselaer-Rankin family, a prominent Albany Dutch family.